Skip to main content

Seating And Sitting Arrangements In A Classroom

Back in the days when I was in Basic school, I’d always prefer to be seated either in front or in the middle of the class. The back seat or a seat by the window was a NO! NO! for me. I would flinch when my sitting position was changed. It usually did affect my behavior in class and also my general interest in school. But then, have we, as teachers or lecturers, really taken a consideration into seating and sitting arrangements in the classroom or anything goes?
Before I proceed, let’s get the distinction between seating arrangement and sitting arrangement. The former has to do with how the seats are arranged - circular fashion, theatre fashion, horse-shoe fashion, etc. The latter refers to positions allocated to people to sit.
That cleared, do sitting arrangements really matter in a classroom setting? Can a scholar just desire a particular spot in the classroom without any hindrance?

I am a student who preferred to sit at the back even though I had bad eye sight. My teacher would change my position several times and each term I would relocate to the back. I was a kid so I probably didn’t get the import of why my teacher kept doing that even after explaining to me severally.
Then again, I am a student who would be comfortable no matter where I am positioned. I am the kind who wouldn’t mind being placed anywhere. I was just free-spirited and my colleagues didn't have problems having me as their sitting mate.
Now when it comes to sitting arrangements, pairing students helps them work well together and enables the teacher have control over the class. But it can also be a disadvantage because students dont get to socialze much. They get comfortable with their sitting mate and sometimes refuse to have another sitting mate. The cluster kind of sitting arrangement, on the good side, makes it easy for group work kind of study. However, with the cluster arrangement, some students may have their back facing the teacher which will create distractions while lesson is ongoing. Thus, every sitting arrangement has its pros and cons.

When it comes to seating arrangements in a class, mine is dependent on the kind of lesson being taught. For an interactive class, I’d prefer a round seating arrangement or the horse-shoe arrangement. For a lecture kind of class, I’d prefer the usual desk-in-a-row kind of seating arrangement. For a group discussion, I would go for the cluster seating arrangement. Hence, the classroom should be built to allow changes in seating arrangements when necessary. Mind you, the classroom size can also determine what kind of seating arrangement would be more appropriate. The cluster arrangement would be more suitable in a small size classroom while the desk-in-a-row kind of arrangement would be suitable for a large size classroom.
If you are a teacher reading this, drop in the comment box πŸ‘‡ which kind of seating arrangements you prefer. Mine is the horse-shoe and cluster seating arrangements.

Comments

  1. The choice for any seating arrangement, you rightly mentioned, should depend on the kind of lesson, and the status of the class. We should, as formators, be conscious enough to introduce variety. We have trivialized the important, yet necessary little things for far too long. ����

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

iBet you're tired of the lockdown too.

After lazing😴 around for a couple of weeks thinking what I should write in this lockdown season, I finaly got off my lazy butt and scribbled something down. It's not about a nose mask though.πŸ˜€ First of all, I never thought I would be saying this but "Damn! I miss school". I miss the noise of kids running after each other, slamming doors, spilling drinks, babies crying, stumping of boots during morning assembly march, shouts of teachers trying to get pupil's attention, drumming of tables, pupils shouting their notes during music lessons, pupils cheering their team mates during games... I could go on and on.  "Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory" - unknown. Now more than ever, I feel the void anytime I wake up and I can't go to work because school has been shutdown indefinitely. There were days I would dread going to school. All I thought was "this teacher life isn't for me". Today, the

The Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Being confined in a limited space over a period without exercising your thinking faculty can leave you dull and rusty over time. This has become a great concern for educators and heads of educational institutions hence, their dependence on the virtual learning possibilities which enables institutions reach out to their learners remotely during this school shutdown period. I, for instance, am welcome to the vast possibilities a virtual learning environment can provide for me as an educator. The VLE refers to "a system that offers educators digitally-based solutions aimed at creating an interactive, active learning environment." Better still, "it helps educators create, store and disseminate content, plan courses and lessons and foster communication" between the learner and the educator. Simply put, it's like learning using the web whether via audio, video or visual content. You only need a mobile phone, laptop or tablet and a good source of internet connec