Skip to main content

The Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Image source: Blue Sky Campus

Being confined in a limited space over a period without exercising your thinking faculty can leave you dull and rusty over time. This has become a great concern for educators and heads of educational institutions hence, their dependence on the virtual learning possibilities which enables institutions reach out to their learners remotely during this school shutdown period. I, for instance, am welcome to the vast possibilities a virtual learning environment can provide for me as an educator.

The VLE refers to "a system that offers educators digitally-based solutions aimed at creating an interactive, active learning environment." Better still, "it helps educators create, store and disseminate content, plan courses and lessons and foster communication" between the learner and the educator. Simply put, it's like learning using the web whether via audio, video or visual content. You only need a mobile phone, laptop or tablet and a good source of internet connection to access online content courses and also interact with your learner or vice versa.

With the world gradually becoming a global village, if not already, and even more dependent on technology, the opportunity to reach out to a wide range of audience is large. Apart from the one-on-one interactions in the classroom, some institutions have included long distance learning programs, e-learning platforms and a variety of virtual learning environments which also brings more money to the "entrepreneur" most especially, private institutions.
Don't be surprised if, in some years to come, the government passes a law that requires institutions to inculcate technology at all cost in running their organizations. How about you prepare yourself sooner so you don't get taken by surprise. There would be no time for you, the business owner, to nag.

For the teacher and learner, there are a lot of app developers that have come up with platforms to meet your need. The likes of Google Classroom, Moodle, Zoom Cloud, Udemy, Teachable, ... just to name a few. I have tried a few of these platforms and they seem a great deal of good to me. There is the good and bad side of it. Which means the world becomes more dependent on technology than the human. It tends to displace a lot of people who haven't embraced technology in their homes and work places. 

I, like you, would want to stay in business, so I would take some few courses via virtual learning and upgrade myself to fit in this new tech era. You should too! To those already implementing it in their line of work, kudos! To those yet to begin, let's explore!

Comments

  1. Can this v-learning continues after the shutdown of schools?.
    How can we measure the effectiveness of the Virtual learning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Virtual learning is not to replace the actual school system. It's to enhance learning even when not in an actual school building. So even after the bun has been lifted, the virtual learning still continues. That's why schools still do distance learning and even e-learning from the comfort of your homes.

      Delete
    2. Then again, there are ways of measuring effectiveness of the virtual learning based on skills and knowledge acquired after the program, attitude and response of learner and other ways of assessment like tests etc

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

iBet you're tired of the lockdown too.

After lazing😴 around for a couple of weeks thinking what I should write in this lockdown season, I finaly got off my lazy butt and scribbled something down. It's not about a nose mask though.😀 First of all, I never thought I would be saying this but "Damn! I miss school". I miss the noise of kids running after each other, slamming doors, spilling drinks, babies crying, stumping of boots during morning assembly march, shouts of teachers trying to get pupil's attention, drumming of tables, pupils shouting their notes during music lessons, pupils cheering their team mates during games... I could go on and on.  "Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory" - unknown. Now more than ever, I feel the void anytime I wake up and I can't go to work because school has been shutdown indefinitely. There were days I would dread going to school. All I thought was "this teacher life isn't for me". Today, the

Seating And Sitting Arrangements In A Classroom

Back in the days when I was in Basic school, I’d always prefer to be seated either in front or in the middle of the class. The back seat or a seat by the window was a NO! NO! for me. I would flinch when my sitting position was changed. It usually did affect my behavior in class and also my general interest in school. But then, have we, as teachers or lecturers, really taken a consideration into seating and sitting arrangements in the classroom or anything goes? Before I proceed, let’s get the distinction between seating arrangement and sitting arrangement. The former has to do with how the seats are arranged - circular fashion, theatre fashion, horse-shoe fashion, etc. The latter refers to positions allocated to people to sit. That cleared, do sitting arrangements really matter in a classroom setting? Can a scholar just desire a particular spot in the classroom without any hindrance? I am a student who preferred to sit at the back even though I had bad eye sight. My teacher would